Entrance Requirements for the Global Paths
of the David Lynch Graduate School of Cinematic Arts
In addition to meeting university admission criteria, applicants must:
(1) Provide evidence of a four-year undergraduate degree, or its equivalent, in media, multimedia, communications, or the liberal arts. If the undergraduate degree is not in these fields, the applicant may provide evidence of equivalent work experience that demonstrates aptitude or proficiency in the techniques in filmmaking, and
(2) Submit an application package that includes:
a. a current resume
b. a personal essay or statement of intent with respect to goals for the degree, and artistic philosophy
c. a portfolio: this entails a sample of a prior production on a streaming platform (such as YouTube or Vimeo), and/or screenplay (PDF), and/or alternate evidence of creative accomplishment. Note: the portfolio is not required for students applying for the Creative Producing track through New Vision University.
(3) Receive approval for the transfer of up to 36 credits through one of MIU’s articulation agreements or through individualized approval by the Program Director and MIU’s Office of Admissions.
(4) Proficiency in English will give applicants an advantage in the admissions process. We recommend, but do not require, that applicants submit an English-proficiency test score (IELTS or TOEFL).
(5) Students may be requested to participate in a personal interview conducted by the MFA admissions committee.
After admission at the program level, applicants will be directed to next steps for admission to MIU.
Direct any questions to the Global MFA Program Director.